In the mid-1800s, the Marigny Square bordering Paris' famous Champs-Elysées was merely a modest venue proposing all kinds of circus-like attractions and curiosities. After changing hands and names quite a few times, from Bouffes d'été to Théâtre Deburau to Marigny Bergères, the quaint stage was torn down to make way in 1880 for a grandiose playhouse designed by none other than architect Charles Garnier, the very same man behind Paris' legendary Opéra Garnier. By the1950s, under the direction of Simone Volterra, the Théâtre Marigny had become one of the leading venues in the city, right at the peak of the post-war cultural explosion. The venue had transformed from its modest beginning to become one of the most prestigious in all of Paris, an elegant luxurious playhouse to see and be seen at. In 1954, a second smaller theatre was added to the venue to complement the show programme with newer more intimate works.
Comprised of two theatres, small and large, the Théâtre Marigny is one of few Parisian venues to welcome historic Broadway performances, while the smaller studio houses smaller upcoming works. From 2013 to 2018, the Théâtre Marigny was closed to undergo 5 years of renovations, and has only recently reopened its doors looking better than ever. This decadent playhouse is a favorite among Parisian theatre-goers, the perfect location to see a splendid musical in an opulent setting surrounded by Paris' finest.
Capacity: Large theatre 1024, Smaller theatre 300
Handicap Accessible? Yes, please contact us to ensure proper seating in accessible areas
Air conditioning? Yes
Past shows at this venue