At the time of its creation in 1822, the Théâtre de l'Atelier was located in an agricultural suburb of Paris, for the city had not yet expanded its gate to engulf all of the winding Montmarntre neighbourhood. Upon the execution of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette in the 18th century, the two French leaders were buried in a nearby cemetery. As payment for handing over his farmland for the usage of the royal burial, Louis XVIII granted the owner and his son authorisation not only to practice theatre in the modest venues just outside the city gates, but to have autonomous control over the cultural realm exploding in the area. With his newfound authority, the farmer-turned-thespian and his son, an aspiring actor, founded many theatres in the area, including the Théâtre des Mathurins and of course, the Théâtre de l'Atelier.
After surviving many management changes throughout the 1848 revolution and the Montmartre Commune, the theatre became a neighbourhood favourite,bringing popular shows to the masses, the dramas and vaudevilles and made popular in the luxurious venues along the Grands boulevards. What was then still called the The Montmartre got a makeover in the early 1900s, and it's grand reopening featured a performance by Sarah Bernardt. The venue did not, however, escape the cinematic takeover, and like many Parisian playhouses was quickly converted into a movie theatre in the early 20th century. Saved from its cinematic fate by new director Charles Dullin, the venue changes name in the 1920s to reflect the name of the directors theatre troupe, becoming the Théâtre de l'Atelier. Complete with a small upstairs bistro for a pre or post-show drink and snack, the Théâtre de l'Atelier has become a favourite element of the bohemian culture in the Montmartre neighbourhood, frequented by locals and visitors alike.
Air conditioning: Unfortunately, no
PAST SHOWS AT THIS VENUE